Old 06-18-14, 03:47 PM
achoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
A lot depends on terrain and he has sort of hilly terrain so it is harder to keep power up on the downhills but not impossible so I assumed more z1. Easier constant power rides work on flatter terrain without much stopping or starting and on the trainer. But OP asked 5000 to 6500 calories per day is realistic and for z1/z2 base miles on his terrain and I say no. Maybe he does 3500 in 5 hours.

IMO, base miles are a waste of time unless you are a road racer doing long races, stage races or a newer racer needing to build up a base of endurance. For a Cat 3, wanting to upgrade to a Cat 2, and depending on the targeted races, I stand with more build with a lot more intensity closer to what will be required to race. However, that was unsolicited advice he did not ask for.

And maybe OP is a crit racer with a lower FTP but better sprint performance. He has not said.

He has asked for nutrition advice and I was trying to point out that his caloric count was too high. He wants eating advice to manage high volume.
How much time a week do you train?

20 hours/week is a lot for most amateur racers. If he could do 20 hours/week in z3+, the OP would probably be a pro.

So to take advantage of all that training time pretty much requires a lot of z2 riding. And the training volume will help.