View Single Post
Old 06-19-14, 07:17 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
So... you [google] search the planet to find a picture of stoic looking Chinese.... and say this is what you [in your mind] believe that people around you look like.... even though no photographic evidence [anywhere on Earth] would suggest that.
I actually have plenty of photographic evidence regarding cyclists in New Orleans but they are all one or two people per shot. I have literally hundreds of them. The photo from China I posted was simply to show you how we dress, and how we "stoically" cycle to our destinations without giving much thought to being a "cyclist" or other special group of commuter/utilitarian persons.

Does my wife have fun driving her car to work and back every morning? Does she have a bumper sticker bragging "I Love Driving"? Not hardly. The same attitude goes along with utility cycling in NOLA. We just get places on two wheels in statistically significant numbers (for a USofA city anyway) and don't think much about it. For many, a bicycle is just a tool for transport. I don't know why you are offended by this.

Try a Google image search for" bicycling AND in AND "New Orleans" and you will see lots of solo cyclists wearing street clothes and a few geeks out in their racing kit far from the city center. bikeeasy.org also has photos but these are special events that generally attract non-commuters and some may be wearing helmets. Most by far will still be wearing street clothes. I hope these ideas serve as sufficient proof of the facts I presented earlier.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 06-19-14 at 07:23 PM.