View Single Post
Old 06-20-14, 06:45 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Show us your Pinarello

Well BF Pinarello’s are distributed and duplicated in a number of threads but there isn't one specifically dedicated to them. Since I have acquired a couple, I thought it was time to have a focal point thread on the marque.

Let's see if we can pull together some history through links or text with pictures.

If your bike is near original or period correct with original paint and decals, please let us know. You may go nuts on the description if you like but let’s at least include what the year range might be with model or speculate which model and why you think so.

Of course the most valuable link for many of us is are the catalogs listed on Bulgier.

I have two threads on the two bikes shown below. The first is the Tre Crime which was configured with a franken group. Currently it is being stripped for a repaint as described in the thread. It is a 57cm ctc. I have no clue of the year although I suspect it is around a 1987.

This model was created to celebrate a bike designed by Giovanni Battaglin himself, especially for the climb of Tre Cime di Lavaredo in Giro d'Italia in 1981.the first Pinarello with triple Campy cranks modified by Pinarello. The one he road was the top of the line at the time. Although Campagnolo was providing triple cranks for Schwinn, Giovanni modified a Record crank for Battaglin.

The gruppo sold on this bike was Victory as it was the third level down from Montello at the time. My build will be Suntour Superbe Pro below the TT.

My Thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ime-build.html

1981 Giovanni Battaglin ? CICLI PINARELLO S.p.A.
Pinarello steel history

The second is a Montello which I believe is either an ‘88 or ‘89 in the Spumoni paint scheme, 58cm ctc. The assessment is based on the bulgier catalog where the color was first introduced in ‘88. Prior scheme that looks like it is call “Italian Ice” and is not quite the same. This bike is Dura Ace equipped below the TT. The headset is C-Record and the post is American Classic.
The plan for this bike is simply to clean it up with new housings and bar tape. Most of the decals are intact. The paint is faded but not enough to warrant a repaint like the Tre Crime. The saddle is a bit beat up but with a little cleaner, shoe polish and contact cement, it should be good for pictures!

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...-montello.html

Inserting pictures from Flickr in an opening thread is a challenge. See the next one to follow. Pictures in sequence of discussion.