jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Yeah you are lucky produce wise.
In the 1950's-1970's we had a local produce market in the Quarter-and plenty of other places
And we had " farmers" who would literally park their truck-pickup or bigger truck- on the side of the street and sell their local produce.
Now we still have a market in the quarter-but much of it isn't local produce-and it isn't convenient for most folks.

Yeah my tomatoes-good crop this year-
I planted some lima beans-waaaay too late-so they won't produce-but at least the "land" is cleared-and I'm getting the "feel" for them
My navel orange tree-maybe I'll get 40 oranges-I planted it with no thought 15 years down the road
That sucks. It kills me that local produce isn't more readily available in the southeast with all the good farm land.

i subscribe to to a weekly box from a local farm. (CSA) They just send over a random assortment of what's ripe. My last one had grapefruit, apricots, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, green beans and corn.

The big problem us is the food dessert thing. Easy access to produce and such for anyone in a middle class or higher neighborhood. But the poor neighborhoods are disconnected. We've got a community organization working on a grocery store in one of those parts of town. Right now they run a farmers market with local produce, some even grown in Oakland. It is really cool, and they are nearly at their fundraising goal so they can break ground on a full service store in a community that has no real grocery stores.