View Single Post
Old 06-24-14, 03:23 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HydroG33r
I'm confused... did you create segments for home to daycare, daycare to work, and back again? I don't have these longer segments for a couple reasons:

1. I often vary my route between point A and point B.
2. I have privacy zones set up around my home, office, and kids' daycares, so I won't show up on leaderboards for segments that start/end within ~500-1000m of those places.
3. Longer segments are subject to traffic, stop signs, lights, etc, so more luck involved.

Instead, I just use veloviewer.com to filter down my activities (e.g. start city, min/max distance) and create my own leaderboards for my whole commute.
Though I felt pretty good, the ones I rode through were usually top 50% or better with the kid and around 30% or higher without him. A few I was at the bottom, but they were sections I feel can be unsafe with the kid. I few I was in upper regions.

Often people will just create a segment for the ascent portion of a bridge or stretch of road. I like to see segments as short as 200-300m if it's a reasonable hill (e.g. >4%); really, hills with >10-20m of elevation gain are reasonable to see. And you can hide segments if you don't want them to show up in your feed.

I typically don't like segments that have lights in them (e.g. there's a couple segments starting on 10th Avenue @ Clark Drive; one ends at Fraser, which is the one I look at because it's about 800m, average a little over (really more like 3 x 1 block hills @ 4% with 1 block flat sections between). The other ends at St. George's, a couple blocks descent past the crest (and traffic light) at Fraser. I don't see the point in mixing in the 2 block downhill coast and the traffic light, so I hide that Clark to St George segment.

Yes you can. See here.

I hope you continue to enjoy it, and that it's worth the hassle of of the smarter phone...

If you want, you can request to follow me on Strava from this activity.
I was more referring to my commute being two general segments to me as a commuter, before strava.

I only created the segment for myself for the knight st bridge. I have not created others, yet.

The ones I mean were the 10 or so segments from Nanaimo to Victoria/Commercial/Clark/Fraser. I have also started to sift through and hide those. Also I feel they can be a bit dangerous with rush hour and they are not a section made for racing, in my opinion. I am fine with the hill up after the park at clark to fraser. Though at that point I am tired and slow on the last one.

I completely understand the short hill segments. I was surprised no one created a longer knight street bridge to encompass the whole span.

I was more taking a stab at roadies who like to brag they "got a kom on this 200 m strech man, it was awesome, I was ripping it up." Or however roadies talk.

Overall I like it and I will adjust it for my regular main road sections where I go faster. It is just sifting through it all.