cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
...but what if the way of living you found is THE way of living and you want everyone else to live the same way? I mean, sure, the place you live is fine, but that 5 sq miles of urban area 300 miles from you could by slightly different in order to bike or take a bus from a residential street to the grocery store a small bit easier. Granted we'll have to tear down some stores and homes and rip up the existing streets, but it will be slightly better, in my opinion, when we're done! Isn't that what it's all about anyway?
I certainly don't want or expect people to live a certain way. I just don't want to subsidize it or suffer from it. If I help fund a new freeway I am enabling people to create smog. Let them pay for their own smog! And in contradistinction to what Dave Cutter said
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
. What HAS happened... is the natural course of events...People will do what they want to do.
Cities don't just grow or sprawl due to everybody doing what they want. They are influenced by policies and laws and decisions, like where to put a new tax-funded freeway or how much to publicly subsidize utilities. Other people are driving those decisions and dragging the rest of us along, and I personally don't like to be dragged along.

Last edited by cooker; 06-25-14 at 11:57 AM.