genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Even if we could train everyone and change human nature, there's still issues such as high speed differentials, human error, and the plain truth that its unpleasant to ride a 50 mph 6 lane road....I know, I do it every day. Limiting cyclists options to only RRFDV is stupid and counter productive.
I agree... but John seems to think logically if everyone did what they are supposed to do, with regard to rules of the road for drivers of vehicles, then there should be no problems at all what so ever... of course that is as pie in the sky as thinking we well all have bike paths everywhere.

The fact is that we create roads for less than well trained drivers... and remind them of their responsibilities all the time... with markers, signs, paint and too many traffic signals... but to do the same for cyclists is somehow considered blasphemy. Yes it all complicates the transportation scene... but until we are all real followers of "rules of the road for drivers of vehicles," and not a society that is selfish which others have to respond by driving defensively in vehicles designed to protect them; we more vulnerable road users may need alternatives... or roll cages, crumple zones, seat belts and airbags... and now smart crash avoidance systems... That is just how it stacks up. Denial is just flat out head in the sand stupid.

Of course the irony is that in the not too distant future perhaps smarter cars WILL follow the rules exactly... but really that is just speculation.

Last edited by genec; 06-27-14 at 07:43 AM.