Old 06-26-14, 08:33 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by AERO63
The 6-man lead group in last night's race included myself and two of my teammates. We were on the front for more or less the entire race, the others guys weren't interested in working and I don't blame them, because in hindsight we were more than willing to do the work. We didn't win. We finished 2, 3, and 4 but had a guy who sat back there the entire time beat us. He did a good job, we didn't. (Still had a good time though for the record!)

What is the best way to get off the front? (Or force someone else up there?) We'd slow the pace hoping someone would get antsy and go to the front, they wouldn't. We'd pick up the pace hoping to wear them down and get away, but that didn't work either. So in the end we just worked hard and got beat by someone smarter who didn't.

What could we/I have done differently?
As pointed out you and your teammates should have tried to force the others to the front. Attacking in turn sounds good but attacking at the wrong points of a race will just help the others as you wear yourselves down with little or no chance of actually splitting up the break. Typically you want to attack where it's less likely for the others to be able to work off of your draft. Therefore you want to go in a tailwind, a crosswind (and hug the side furthest from the wind, so if the wind is from the left you hug the right curb), through a bunch of turns, or over the hill. Everyone will think of over the hill so it might be the other spots that you need to go.

If you three are lighter weight riders suited for the climb then slow up going into the climb and use your power to weight ratio to hurt the heavier riders as you accelerate over the top. If you're heavier TT type riders then avoid that by driving hard into the base of the hill so it becomes a 3 pedal stroke hill in a big gear, not a 15 pedal stroke twiddle fest. Use your TT strength to go with the wind or by drilling it where it's flat/downhill. Use your physical traits to your advantage.

With so many turns you can simply gap your teammate/s off the front (so the three teammates are in a row at the front and the third teammate lets a gap open up going into a turn). If you ease as you enter the corner (don't brake, it's just an ease) most riders won't notice the gap until the exit. This forces open a gap immediately. You can then pull off or soft pedal or whatever you want, as long as you're going a bit slower than the two teammates who are now off the front. When the other riders start to chase you hop on, sit on, and refuse to do an ounce of work. When they catch back on then you can attack. Etc.

The critical thing is to never work against your teammate. This is way too common in the lower categories (4s and 5s). I call them "Me Too" attacks, where one teammate tries to go with another but never quite gets on the wheel. If you looked at it from afar it would be one attacker, one chaser, and the field, and both the attacker and the chaser are on the same team. It's a bit senseless to try and close a gap to a teammate - unless it's a two rider pack of you and a teammate you should never try to close a gap to a teammate. You should wait and let someone else close the gap for you. If they fail then you let others try. If you let a bunch of guys try and now they're all dragging their tongues on the road then you launch a vicious attack and leave them behind.

If you do try to close the gap to a teammate, you're undoing all their hard work when they launched the attack. In very few, usually "more advanced" situations, this may not be true (like when a team intentionally attacks into a crosswind but the team leader inadvertently gets gapped off). But in pretty much all Cat 4-5 type racing this idea holds true. It especially holds true if the gap seems close-able "in a few seconds", i.e. 10-20-30 feet. It's incredibly crucial to immediately stop your effort so that someone else can make that "few second effort". You should be going nice and easy, on the wheels, only making efforts when accelerating to follow the others. Once up to speed you should be soft pedaling.

So.. in a break with 2 teammates and 3 non-teammates you should ease when the two teammates are ahead, even if it means you come off of the break. You're bringing everyone else off the break also, and they'll need to chase. As soon as they realize they need to chase you should sit up and wait for them to go around. Then sit on and recover, don't do an iota of work. If they aren't going to make it, or they start futzing around, then you can launch a searing attack to gap them off right away. Hopefully, with them working and you not working, you can get clear immediately. If you can't, if your attack only encourages them to chase, then you need to sit up and immediately let them by you, get on their wheel. Get them to the front, sit on their wheel, wait for the surge. If they want to go 14 mph then you go 13 mph. If you get caught by the field then so be it, you have two teammates up the road, you can play the game. They can't.

Chances are that the guy that won was perhaps the weakest of the group. He might have been struggling with the pace. The finish, going up hill (if I understood right) would favor a particular kind of rider, one like me. It's very possible that the winner of the race was the one most vulnerable in the break. You have to force the others to work so you can see who can and who can't. I bet if you did what I described above (leave a gap, let them work, then jump them), the guy that won the race would be the first one to respond. That's why you can't work at all as soon as someone responds - the one that responds will be the one with the jump, the one that reacts quickly, the one that will beat you if you drag him up to your teammates. Therefore you immediately shut down.

Even if you're not talking with your teammates you can start faking being redlined. Pull through slower, pull shorter, get a bit ragged in form, and start sitting on the back. You can police the rest of the break, "just in case". I've done this in races while trying to help a friend on a different team and had other non-teammate friends close a gap for me because they thought I was suffering and wanted the break back.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson

Last edited by carpediemracing; 06-27-14 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typo: "close able" should have been one word