View Single Post
Old 06-27-14, 07:44 AM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing to consider. Buy Reading the Race from Event Services (member here). It's a really interesting book and even as a Cat 5 it's worth reading.

I also learned one thing in handy as I'm coming to a close in my Cat 5 races. I try to stay in the front 1/3 of races. When I'm just spending a few minutes to recover I used to find one of the largest guys in the group that is in the middle of the pack and park behind him. This backfired in my race last weekend. Average speed was 24mph and it was relatively easy just holding his wheel. The problem occurred when the pack surged, he was a little late to increase his speed as he was pushing a bigger gear.

So a gap formed, and it was pretty slow to form, only 2 or 3 seconds at first. I was hoping that the guy in front of me would close the gap, or at least try. When I realized he was struggling I wasted valuable time thinking about what to do, and hoping someone else would close the gap. Well, everyone fell behind. Then the gap probably grew to about 10 seconds. I chased for 5 miles before rolling in behind the front group at the finish line. Doing some math in my head I figured if the gap is 10 seconds and the pace is 24mph, I would have to travel 30mph for 90 seconds to close that gap, which is impossible for me. That's why I never caught those guys.

So in your case, if your guys got a 10 second gap while you were blocking the person being dragged around, he wouldn't be able to catch them.