Old 06-27-14, 09:36 PM
seanpatrick76

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2014 specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
I drilled two small holes in my helmet to mount my Take a Look mirror. I never could mount it to my eyeglass arms. Invaluable as I almost always drift off my line when looking behind me.

MEC sells the Take a Look mirror in Canada.

edit: A couple downsides to a helmet mirror. They'd probably get in the way of a rain cover. Interfere with ski goggles when riding in the winter.
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
I have both the "Take a look" and "The third Eye". While the "Take a look" is an optically better mirror the weight was too much for my glasses causing them to tilt to one side. I couldn't deal with that. Additionally, when I found the perfect spot to see approaching traffic it ended up creating a very big blind spot off to my left. I didn't like that either.

The "third eye" is not as big as "glasses mount" type mirrors go. I found the Third eye more useful mounted to my helmet visor ( with a little electrical tape on the visor to help lessen vibration. Vibration can be a big problem when dealing with mirrors. ) The visual area is not as big as the "Take a look" but for me this works. No blind spots off to my left. As long as I can see approaching traffic I'm good, even if the field of vision and visual clarity is not as good as I might want it to be.

Oddly I misplaced my "third eye" just before the season started ( I actually own two ). Although I don't always feel the need for a mirror I was really missing it on one of my recent road rides. Personally when I ride roads with very little ( or no ) shoulder I really like having the mirror. Luckily I found it again just about a week ago.
Originally Posted by Dfrost
that is a fabulous idea!

I'll be damned if I didn't through out my visor a month or so back. I've been determined not to keep things around I never use to avoid clutter, but it seems this kind of thing keeps happening. Oh well - In any case I can get a replacement visor for my helmet in WHITE, but my helmet is black, so it would look pretty stupid. I'm pretty much down to either the Take a Look mirror (though I'd have to drill holes in BOTH sides of the helmet for using in Ireland) or the Hubub helmet mirror that seems to attach directly to the helmet: HubBub Custom Bicycles Online Store - Product Detail
The third eye looks pretty good but lots of complaints from people who mount it INSIDE their helmet (as opposed to visor) saying the velcro digs into their heads - and they end up gluing it to their helmet which is not ideal in my case as I need to move it from one side to the left. Too bad I threw out that visor, It would make my decision much easier (take a look).