View Single Post
Old 06-30-14, 04:51 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
...Today was another chapter in the Every Day's an Adventure story. We took the tandem out again, of course. I wanted to do a "recovery" ride, not as far or aggressive as yesterday. We ended up with 38.68 miles, with an avg speed 13.8mph, one of the highest we've ever recorded. Not sure why, but it may have been partly because I've been keeping us on the big chainring as Sharon prefers and partly because we were hammering up and down Lowell Rd between Concord and Carlisle for major stretches instead of running the more hilly back roads. Just to do something different, you know. Plus we avoided the Bruce Freeman.

We met a bunch of interesting folks. Had a nice conversation over lunch at Fern's with folks who have run and intend to run again this year the PMC. Then met some folks with a daVinci tandem having lunch in front of the Carlisle library, so we had to talk to them. The cyclist community really is quite special.

But the day had its own adventures. We got an early (for us) start. The fun started with Sharon wondering about a slight tweak to her saddle. As I was tightening it up at Depot Park one of the bolts snapped. Dang. Now where will I find a metric carriage bolt at 9AM on Sunday? Called Ride Studio but they probably didn't have anything like that. Ah, Home Depot! And they'll be open. Quick run down 128. I didn't find a carriage bolt but I did find a hex-head of the right size which fit nicely. And a 10mm wrench (you can never have enough 10mm wrenches ). 45 minutes later we're finally on the road.

The next adventure was of the insect variety. A mile after that nice lunch at Fern's we were doing a roundabout way northward when something stung my inner thigh through my clothes. Ouch. Fortunately I have no reaction to bee or wasp stings other than pain. So we continued our loop up to Heart Pond. Had a nice conversation with a couple who asked about riding a tandem, how it was different from riding a solo bike. (Now that's a whole conversation all by itself.) Eventually we departed for Bedford, had a pleasant ride back.
Hi Jim,

I've never ridden a tandem, nor have I ever read the Tandem Cycling Forum (though I have ridden a quadricyle with a fringe on top in Toronto, with my sweetie, Sharon). Do you post on that Forum?

BTW, though I don't usually read the sticky thread on the Fifty-Plus Forum, “did you ride today,” I did happen to note your pithy description of the above ride:

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Only 38.7 on the tandem today after yesterday's 49.9.
I always enjoy reading the details on this Metro Boston thread.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Quadricycle 004.jpg (98.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg
Quadricycle 003.jpg (93.8 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-30-14 at 04:55 AM.