Old 07-01-14, 06:49 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06

Last 2 laps from a couple weeks ago. Could have done a few things different (stick to wheels a little better), but overall im happy with this race
The crash after the finish - someone go straight or turn off or something?

Stick to wheels better, as you say. Even if you're off to one side 1-2' while being 1-3' behind, it's better than being 5'-10' behind. A lot of times one side will be more sheltered than the other, so for example if the wind is slightly from the left then sit 1-2' to the right side and slide up as close as possible to the rear wheel. For my helmet cam clips if I can't see the whole rear wheel on the screen then I'm in about the right territory. If you can find someone trustworthy to follow it might be worth it just to sit on their wheel for 5 laps at a time and try to stay closer. You want someone that stays seated most of the time, holds a good line, and doesn't panic easily. When I was learning it was one of my bigger teammates, he didn't have any jump so he was perfect to follow. He stayed seated almost all the time so that was also good - in fact he almost never made out of saddle efforts until we started racing together collegiately and I taught him how to rock the bike more.

Also if the inside is clear on a turn don't be afraid of cutting the corner. It looked like there were a couple turns where there was no one to your inside. You could have taken a much more aggressive line, like one you'd take if you were riding alone, and been closer to the wheels at the turn exit. The "turn parallel to everyone else's line" only applies if they're next to or behind you. If you're clear of them then forget it, you can dive a corner. Just check to make sure you're clear first.

A good thing is that you don't seem to look down. Either that or your camera is pointed really high Seriously, though, you're riding with your head up. It's better than me, a lot of times my footage is all butts and ankles because I'm so redlined.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson