Old 07-01-14, 08:10 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Maybe I didn't express it well, but what I was trying to say is that IMO those who are quitting because racing is too dangerous would quit regardless of whether strava exists or not.
I agree with this.

As far as participation goes, I don't know, I figure make it easier to know how to race, easier to know what to do, and more people will try it. On the other hand everyone is doing the same thing, meaning running, triathlons, soccer, curling, weaving, chicken raising, whatever it is, people are sharing their passions because they want others to enjoy it also. At the bike shop a business consultant type person mentioned to me that my competition wasn't necessarily the shop up the road, it was also the stereo place down the street, the knick knack place, the exercise equipment place, the mattress place. People have limited funds (well most of us anyway) so they pick and choose where to spend it. WIth time it's more definitive - people definitely have a fixed amount of time. How they spend it is up to them. If someone thinks racing doesn't give a good return on time spent then they won't race.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson