View Single Post
Old 07-03-14, 12:46 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yugyug
I'm thinking about getting a steel randonneur style frame made for me sometime later this year and I've been considering my options. I currently ride caliper brakes but I'm intrigued about disk brakes. Does it make sense to get braze-ons for both so I could switch in the future? I really want a future flexible bike. Also thinking about getting braze-ons for light fixtures cos I'm interested in doing audax rides, but I don't currently. In general is it reasonable to have a lot of braze-ons on a bike or am I better off thinking more clearly about what I need now rather than what I might want in the future? thanks in advance
Y; If you are having a frame built, adding fittings are that time is fairly easy for the builder to do. If you are after flexibility, then recommend having the frame built like this:

1) Disk brake mount fittings on front and rear (assumes that rear stays and the fork parts are disk brake grade)
2) Cable housing stops for the disks on front and rear
3) Cantilever fittings on front and rear (spec the ones with removable pegs (ask for two sets in case you later lose some))
4) Cable stop bridge on rear seat stays for the rear cantilever (with threaded adjuster and slotted for cable quick release)
5) Discuss with builder things like number of bottle bosses, lighting mounts, kickstand plate, disk diameter, rack attachment points, shifter attachment points, pump pegs, spare spoke holder, use of a dyno hub, how wide a tire you will be able to use, etc., etc.

Hope that helps. Post your thoughts/questions

/K