Old 07-03-14, 11:38 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
There are some longer windy descents up this way (Sierra Foothills) where cyclists can descend much faster than cars. I think some of the folks up here just feel a need to pass a bike when they see one as I'm frequently unsafely passed on a descent or just before a descent and then have to ride my brakes all the way down to a flat section. I have passed a few cars on some descents (where adequate shouler was available) and that seems to really upset the drivers and they feel even more obligated to punch it.

In general, I try to be as safe and coureous as possible. I know that I will lose any battle with a car so I don't go out of my way to assert my "right to have the lane". I'd rather make it home alive than be a martyr.
i too feel this is a factor in unsafe passing experiences with motorists. i guess it's understandable, that in the vast, vast majority of the time motorists pass cyclists quickly due to the discrepancy between speeds. it becomes habit after a few years of driving. you know, see bike, figure out how to pass safely. get around as quick as you can.

most motorists really don't know how to handle a situation where a cyclist (of all things) presents a valid should i pass? or just wait for the right opportunity? situation.