View Single Post
Old 07-03-14, 03:27 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as the tire puncture issues are concerned. I personally on my Yuba am running 26 inch size "Bontrager Hard Case Ultimate" tires in their H# or LT# series tires with "Stop Flats 2" liners and then Slime brand 5x tough extra thick pre-slime-filled tubes.

Triple layers of protection, I ride through anything and everything including but not limited too:
----- highway shoulder edges littered with broken bottle glass and other sharps
----- giant chuck holes and drain grates and over sharp curve edges that normally could cause snakebite pinch flats
----- through sharp flint rock outcroppings
----- through and over prickly pear cactus patches
----- through assorted non-specific thistle and thorn bush patches
----- and yes the occasional goat head thorns

I rarely if ever have to fix a flat and even if I actually do get a puncture, provided I only pump the tire back up to 40-psi or so and not more the slime will slow down the leak enough to get me where I'm going and back again so I can fix it in the comfort of my own shop.

I like Hookworm and Big Apple tires as well along with a few others. But be aware that not all puncture resistant tires are created equal, way too many of them have only a very narrow strip of puncture protection down their very middle and no side-wall protection whatsoever or even bottom edge of the tread protection. That is what makes the Hookworms and Big Apple tires a better choice even though they are not technically a design specific puncture resistant tire. Since they have a bead to bead wrap around tread pattern without conventional thin and weak sidewalls to them you get extra side wall protection beyond a normal tire. The "Bontrager Hard Case Ultimate" series of tires and a few other brands series of puncture resistant tires have wrap around full puncture resistance from bead to bead protecting the sidewall from punctures as well. BUT MOST SO CALLED PUNCTURE RESISTANT TIRES DO NOT !!! They only have puncture protection on the bottom of the tread in a narrow strip down the middle, I find that insufficient at best. I'll take a hookworm or a big apple even though not technically a puncture resistant tire over one of them any day, but even better is a true puncture resistant tire with full wrap around protection.