View Single Post
Old 07-04-14, 06:05 AM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A major issue for me. I am trying to learn to not let it ramp up my level of anxious too much, but it is difficult. Happens most often in the neighborhoods. Only time its ok is when they turn after following for only a short distance. But while they are there, I get nervous.

I think its mainly 2 types or a combination of the 2. The ones that are afraid to pass. Very disturbing that they don't have confidence enough in their driving skills to pass a bike when there is way more than enough room. The ones that think they are being nice. Perhaps they are, but after you drive a car at slow speeds for some time its easy to get distracted to the point that your not watching in front of the vehicle at all. Add that to someone who seems to lack skills in the first place, and I think it's scary.

On one of my routes there is a railroad overpass that is 1 block beyond a stop sign where you must stop. The road is wide enough for cars to be parked on the curb (although no one ever parks there), a lane of traffic and there still be plenty of room for a cyclist. The lane going under the railroad is very narrow. Room for 1 car ONLY. Abolutely amazing that a vehicle can follow for the entire block and they time their pass just as we/they get to the overpass. GRRRR! I don't think they are trying to kill me, as the look of terror on their face and the death grip they have on the steering wheel, at least gives the appearance that they are more afraid than I am. That goes back to the skills thing. I mean, they have 200 hp under their big toe and can't figure out the timing to get around a bicycle, with plenty of room to pass, in the length of a city block.