View Single Post
Old 07-04-14, 09:32 PM
thelagger1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Well, 25g is the usual limit for usable protein at one time. The rest becomes fat. If you want to try this, try 15g in water after riding and with every meal, so 60g = 240 cal. on days you ride. Some people put on protein more easily than others. That's just genetics. If you want to ride well, love your thinness: it'll get you up hills a lot faster than bulk will. If you want to change your look and couldn't care less about being fast on the bike, hit the gym 5 days/week and eat enough so that you gain weight slowly. You could also change your look and then pick the bike back up.

"Avidly" is more like 150-200 miles. To build muscle on the bike, climb hills seated in such a big gear that you only turn ~50 cadence. Uphill sprints are good, too. If you're building muscle, your legs should hurt pretty good after a hard ride. You don't want to do that every day, maybe 3X/week, with the other rides being endurance or recovery pace. If you want to improve your cycling, you also should vary the length of your rides, from 20 to say 80 miles. On "hard ride" days, ride hills. On recovery days, ride flats. You only build muscle when you rest.
I was wondering how the excess calories will disperse throughout my body. I am not going for a sculpted Spartan look... aiming mostly for overall body mass, whether it come in fat or whatever. Thin is good, but 140lbs thin at my height comes with disadvantages in endurance and power.

Here in NYC, our central park's loop includes an insanely steep hill and the other half flat - I'm assuming will make good training ground? Usually sets my quads on fire after the first lap

Originally Posted by chasm54
50g of protein is 200 calories, not 800. But even so, that is ridiculous. Even were you a bodybuilder, there is no way your body can metabolise 400g of protein and turn it into muscle. All you're doing is stressing your kidneys to clear the excess from your system, as well as taking in more calories than you're burning.
Oops, I meant 800 calories in total (counting both 16oz shakes made with milk) lol