Old 07-06-14, 10:46 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
I know wheels are one of the lowest benefits, especially a cost:speed point of view. Just wondering if anyone had data on 'training' setup vs 'race setup' on times. There is lots of info out there on the effect based on 40k times/speed, just not sure how it translates on such a short distance.
In my armchair physicist estimation: Aero benefits are exponential (just like air resistance). So, the faster you are, the more benefit you get from aero equipment.

I've seen guys who ride a 14" flying 200 buy a world class bike (including Mavic Io and Comete)...and still ride a 14" flying 200.

As queerpunk notes, the flying 200 is a very technical event. There are so many variables that have to all align for one to run the best possible time given an athlete's current level of fitness. Think of it as learning to high jump. It takes practice.

40K tt is a steady state event over a LONG period of time. So it's easy to estimate within a reasonable amount of time as to what benefits may be available. There are just too many variables to quantify what a piece of equipment will do for you in terms of time. Generally people just do the best they can in each particular area: fit, clothing, helmet, wheels, gearing, windup, etc... and let it all come together.

Contrary to popular belief, the Flying 200M must be practiced if you expect to do your best at it.

Gtrob, given that you did your first proper flying 200M this week, you'll get faster just by doing more of them...like in the same training session.