Old 07-07-14, 08:06 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nkfrench
My parents were raised during the Great Depression and had the mindset that healthy babies were well-fed and "pleasingly plump".
My mom was convinced that a good mother should make sure that her children were well-nourished and not "skinny".

So it isn't just a recent thing that parents don't see overweight/obesity in their kids.

Most of my peers had younger parents born after the Depression and had a very different view of what a healthy person should look like. Thin was in.

I was the 2nd fattest girl in my high school, 15 years old, 5'5" and 140#, class of 400 students.
It was socially unacceptable and I dealt with all sorts of criticism throughout my school days - remarks that I was a big fat slob, classmates assuming I was stupid. There were other factors, but weight (being "different") certainly was a roadblock to making friendships.

That would be a below-average height-weight for the high school I drive by these days. Shocking how many of the kids appear morbidly obese.
A lot of the kids are gathering before school at the dairy store across the street where you can buy fast-food (breakfast sandwiches/burritos, hamburgers, fries, soft drinks and all sorts of ice cream treats).
Whatever happened to feeding a decent breakfast to kids at home then letting them walk/ride a bike together to school?
I do have to say that my parents would never feed us most of the products sold at a fast food restaurant.
It is illegal to walk or ride to school here... Even houses who's back yard abut the schools.

It's deemed too dangerous, especially since speeding 2x over the speed limit is winked at.

Just to make it more interesting they schedule less buses every year so bus rides get longer and longer. Reduces costs to school district, while externalizing costs to parents. Just like the school supply drives they have a couple times a year.

Oh and "gym" is mostly walking around in circles in a parking lot as they don't want the school yard yard to get worn...