View Single Post
Old 07-07-14, 12:33 PM
Raivyn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coal Buster
My LBS will knock some dollars off the price tag ...if you ask. Paying cash is always a plus. Usually only the owner will make that decision so go when he/she is there. All in all he always beats or meets online pricing on larger purchases. On knick knacks there isn't much room for maneuvering. The thing is his expertise is worth a lot more than any money I'd save buying online.
Bikes come out with new model years (generally), so like with a car, you can get a better deal on last year's model. The longer you wait, the better the deal, but you run the risk of your size not being available. There will be better discounts on high-end bikes, too.

You could always negogiate for free accessories (i.e. pump, pedals, gloves, grips) if the bike shop can't lower the price. I got $600 off of my mountain bike because I bought last year's model, and I asked for pedals which they gave me. For a relatively inexpensive hybrid, you are likely only going to see $50-$150 off last year's model because the margins are lower.