Old 07-09-14, 02:03 AM
Thisguy

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
brake squeaking is likely "toe-in" I think it's called. that's the adjustment of the angle of the pads as they make contact with the rim. the pads shouldn't be flat where the whole surface contacts the rim at the same time. there should be a very slight angle so that the front edge makes contact first.

use the right tools

brakes have lots of fun adjustments like centering them so ea side makes contact at the same time as well as the most attended to tension which adjusts how much free play there is and how much squeezing is required to close them. lots of great youtube videos out there. but you'll have to identify what kind of brakes you have to look up the correct adjustments.

while you may not need to, you might want to replace cables, cable housings and pads. the money is going to add up quick so choose your changes wisely. and time them so that perhaps the cost is spread out over several paychecks.
Thanks for the advice. This bike was in really good shape. The only issues I have have been the brakes. I'm butting new shifters and brake lever in so I will be replacing all cables. The currents ones are all rusty and one brake one is beginning to fray. So I figure I'd clean it up some more, add new grease, and check the pad to see if they need to be cleaned or replaced. Not much planned for it besides maybe some more cleaning and greasing after more rides, and adding a rack.

I'll stay with the seven I haven't had a problem with it so don't feel any need to upgrade that. Plus the teeth, and chain are in good condition as well so like they say "If ain't broke don't fix it".