View Single Post
Old 07-09-14, 12:48 PM
cbender

Bikes: Bridgestone MB-5 (93), Bridgestone RB-1 (89), Giordana Spica (90)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bridgestone RB1 restoration questions

Hi all,

I'm just getting back into cycling, after quite a few years of slothfulness, and have managed to pick up a 1989 Bridgestone RB-1 for a good price ($280). I've had an old MB-5 for years that's been completely reliable. I've always wanted a road bike, and now have one.

I'm pretty new to bike repair, but with the help of a book from the library I've spent the past couple of nights disassembling, cleaning, and reassemblying things (brakes, rear derailer, quill stem). I've setup the wheels with new Panaracer Pacela PT 700x25 tires, and decided last night that the bike is the correct size for me. The rest of the components are virtually stock (Suntour GPX brakes, dt shifters, crankset, front & rear derailer, front hub); even the brake pads say Suntour. The front wheel had (at purchase) what I assume is likely an original Bridgestone 700x25c tire (if some collector wants this, it's yours for the price of shipping).

The one bit that's not stock (per the catalog on Sheldon Brown's website) is the rear hub & freewheel. The hub is a Shimano 105, and the freewheel (cassette??) is labeled Shimano hyperglide. Some of the cogs are pretty beat up, so I've decided to attempt to restore these components close to the original suntour, including something that will allow the accushift indexing to work. Initial research suggests this will not be a cheap restoration, since good condition Suntour parts are selling for huge markups. But since my purchase price for the bike was pretty good, I'm not opposed to sinking some $$ into this ($200 ebay freewheels are a bridge to far, though).

I see numerous Suntour 7-speed freewheels on ebay and other places; some are explicitly labeled as accushift, some are not.

Can someone spell out for me what I should be looking for here? Winner Pro? Winner Ultra? Something else?

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0156.jpg (99.9 KB, 627 views)

Last edited by cbender; 07-09-14 at 01:03 PM.