Old 07-10-14, 07:53 AM
DuetDeux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-kit for hillclimbing

Hi all,

I am looking for a conversion kit for a bike that is going to be used to climb hills, or most likely - just one per battery charge.
Many of our alpine hiking areas have access roads suitable for bikes, but a medical condition makes steep hill cycling a big challenge.
To ease the pain and effort needed to get to the hiking areas, I want to fit the bike with electric assist - but I can't figure out whether a cheap china kit will do, or if I need to save up for a mid-drive kit.

A few thoughts
-Top speed is nearly irrelevant. The 25kph limit is more than enough. Anything from around 8-10kph would be acceptable speed
-The 250W motor limit could be an issue, and I don't care if the motor is stronger.
-I want the system to be as subtle as possible, so
-a mid motor that is probably the best, is most likely not going to be the solution I want.
-Range: 10-12 kilometers would be nice, but most access roads are half that.
-Total ascent: easily 800-1000 metres
-Rear hub motor is most likely required. A front hub drive might spin out too easily in the steep gravel roads?
-Price... is obviously of the essence... otherwise I'd go buy a nice mid-drive Scott e-aspect

The bike to be converted is an older 27-speed Merida Matts Juliet with hydraulic disc brakes. I'm not sure how to fit a kit to a bike with hydraulic brakes, as most of the kits seem to have wire-based handlebars to replace the existing. Is the engine cut from brake handles absolutely necessary? I have seen the tektro handles for hydraulic, but I want to change as little as possible on the bike.

I am fully aware that I may be asking too much here, but I have been looking for a solution for a while not finding it, so your advice will be most appreciated.
The mid-drive Scott E-aspect 720 is sooo sweet, but it's unfortunately going to break my budget and I'm not sure how suitable it would be.

Thanks in advance!