RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rekon
Thanks for the compliments @RidingMatthew! I bought the Fantom CX used and the guy that owned it prior said when he ordered it from bikesdirect and that they messed up and sent it without decals. Looks a little plain to me but eh whatever... The tires are 40c. I contacted bikesdirect and they said 42c width will fit on the fantom. However I personally think 40c is the real threshold because my tires BARLEY have enough clearance!
i like the bike with no stickers on it. It looks a little more stealth and faster I wish I could find a bike shop that seemed to really understand bike commuting versus road riding or mountain biking. I think it is great that they have their niche that they are interested in but I really would like to know what size tires I can run on my current bike/ wheelset. I want a place to let me fiddle around without having to purchase tires that may or may not fit.

I test road a Salsa Vaya (shop employees bike in Blacksburg, VA) and she was running 700 X38 and it felt as fast mine but nice and comfy considering I just road around the parking lot. She would have let me ride it for an hour the next day if I had wanted. <that is flat out awesome!

Originally Posted by aquateen
Careful. I bought a Fantom CX frame from Bike Island with this knowledge and turns out those frames can only take about 35c. I was bummed.
I bought mine from Bikes direct and I wish they put something in the write up. They did with some bikes but not this one. I think I would like to try some 32-35 and see how they feel. especially for winter riding.

but all that to say I truly like my 700X 28 Michelin city tires they are fast on the road 15.8- 16 avg mph for a 11 mile one way commute most days. I just think I would like something in the winter.