Old 07-11-14, 08:39 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
The mounting hole for nutted brakes will be the same ID on both sides of the bridge/crown. For recessed brakes the hole on the wrench side will have larger ID and will be countersunk.

Forks can be either or regardless of the crown being flat or rounded. Rear bridges are more than likely nutted if it's a rounded bridge but could be either or if it's a flat sided bridge.
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Post some pictures and we'll likely be able to figure it out.
So the holes appear to be the same size front and rear. Best as I could measure it with my calipers the rear brake bridge hole on both sides was 6 mm. The holes on the fork crown both appeared to be 6.4 mm.

Some pictures:

That makes it sound as though I need nutted brakes, right? Originally, I was going to build a bike up for my wife on a different frame, but that turned out to be too small, so I bought this frame for her instead. I'd hoped to move all the parts over (except headset - that's JIS, this appears to be ISO - and seatpost) and do it on the cheap. I had thought the centerpull might work as I need 63 mm reach and the one I'd measured was 60-75 mm and nutted, but it turns out the catalog for that bike (a 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE mixte) says that the bike came with Dia Compe 610 brakes, so I'm guessing it actually came with 610 and 750 brakes and I only measured the rear. I'll have to measure them both tonight to make sure. If I'm lucky and they're both 750s, I'll just need cable stops. If one is a 610, I'll either need to get another 750 and some cable stops or a set of tektro R559 calipers which might be better anyway (though not cheaper than using what I have).

Last edited by himespau; 07-11-14 at 08:47 AM.