Old 07-11-14, 09:13 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
For a recreational rider, with the quality of modern components, I wouldn't hesitate buying any bike in the FX line-up (or similar line-ups from other vendors) because of the component mixes...

Lower end components might weigh a little more, and may provide fewer gears, but for me, there isn't a driving need to save a few ounces or for more than 7 speed rear clusters... It is nice to have smaller gaps between gears, but definitely not a show stopper.

In the line-ups, there may be other choices made (wider tires on lower end bikes etc, shocks vs rigid in some line-ups) that you may want to consider in deciding what is best for your planned riding, but tires are easy to change, and the 35 mm on the 7.1 FX versus 32 mm on the 7.3 FX is not enough to be a show stopper for me.

You will get better and/or lighter the more you spend, so figure out what you want to spend, and test ride bikes in that range to make your decision... There are differences you might feel, but it probably won't be because of the component mixes.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson