Old 07-11-14, 03:07 PM
clones2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets
You can battle the accordion by gradually backing off before a corner or before a short kicker, then go through the feature at a normal speed. You'll pass some accordion victims, and end up doing a lot less acceleration. The tough part is determining how much to slow and back off. Don't slow down below the ideal speed through the feature. If you would ideally enter a narrow corner at 22mph, don't slow below that speed -- which means you may have to back off pretty early, when the pack is still doing 25mph. Same with a kicker -- if you would ideally come off the top at 19mph, don't slow below that speed, then take the hill at that speed and rejoin as the accordion tightens back up. Also, "feel" these speeds -- don't stare at your display, as you don't really need to know the numbers.
I race back to back criteriums several times each summer... So my first race I usually sit in, sit in, tailgun, sit in some more... and try a late attack... just to make sure Im not burned out for the next race.

WR has the technique spot on about coasting in to corners and going through a regular speed... It's almost like you drop the wheel in front of you and take your regular corner. If you do it smart, you can ALMOST eliminate the accordion...