Old 07-11-14, 03:15 PM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have run the same 28mm wide tires on both Velocity (19mm wide) and Velocity Dyad (24mm wide) rims. I see very little downside to the wider rim. For the same rim profile there is a little extra material which adds a little to the weight but with a 28mm tire the 23-24mm rim will better support the tire when cornering (especially at lower pressures) plus you get a little increase in tire volume which brings many of the benefits often mentioned. There may also be some aero benefit to the wider rim which has a smoother transition between tire and rim than the narrower rim. Other than weight I see no benefit to a rim width narrower than 23-24mm when using a 28mm or wider tire.

I would however hesitate to run 25mm or narrower tires on a 24mm rim on a daily basis. I think once the rim width approaches the tire width the sidewalls are too exposed to road debris especially when leaning hard in a corner. That is a bias on my part and others will probably disagree.

While I am suggesting the wider rim, I would also like to add that this is assuming both rims are of good quality and meet whatever other criteria you have in a rim. The added width is nice but not as important as the general quality of the rim's design, material and manufacture.

Please let us know how you wheels come out. I would like to hear how stiff the wheels are in comparison with others you have run on the same tires at the same pressure.

Last edited by waynesulak; 07-11-14 at 03:25 PM.