Old 07-11-14, 03:57 PM
joe@vwvortex

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Tandem, S-works 29r, Specialized Tarmac SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesulak
I have run the same 28mm wide tires on both Velocity (19mm wide) and Velocity Dyad (24mm wide) rims. I see very little downside to the wider rim. For the same rim profile there is a little extra material which adds a little to the weight but with a 28mm tire the 23-24mm rim will better support the tire when cornering (especially at lower pressures) plus you get a little increase in tire volume which brings many of the benefits often mentioned. There may also be some aero benefit to the wider rim which has a smoother transition between tire and rim than the narrower rim. Other than weight I see no benefit to a rim width narrower than 23-24mm when using a 28mm or wider tire.

I would however hesitate to run 25mm or narrower tires on a 24mm rim on a daily basis. I think once the rim width approaches the tire width the sidewalls are too exposed to road debris especially when leaning hard in a corner. That is a bias on my part and others will probably disagree.

While I am suggesting the wider rim, I would also like to add that this is assuming both rims are of good quality and meet whatever other criteria you have in a rim. The added width is nice but not as important as the general quality of the rim's design, material and manufacture.

Please let us know how you wheels come out. I would like to hear how stiff the wheels are in comparison with others you have run on the same tires at the same pressure.
Both rims (HED and Pacenti) appear to be of good quality and have received a lot of good reviews. After reading what you wrote - it would appear that the 23mm width would give the ability to run a 25mm tire. I know I've stated that I would continue to use 28mm tires no matter what - but a 25mm rim would require me to.....