View Single Post
Old 07-13-14, 07:50 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrim
…I have to work tomorrow, too. It should be criminal to work on a weekend day as nice as tomorrow is going to be. Bah.

Originally Posted by jimmuller
You are absolutely right, it should be criminal. I have to work, but playing music at a private party. I'd rather be riding.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…one other enjoyable advantage of my job is that I have a nearly perfect commute and the ride to work is a pleasant part of the job. Indeed, I usually go into work on Saturday for a few hours by way of a long training ride during the nice weather, and even during the winter, partly to have a destination to ride
So this past Saturday, I did a 62 mile extended commute from Kenmore Square to Norwood, to include some new segments linking old routes. I started at 6:00 AM and rode Comm Ave into Newton. Instead of turning directly onto Route 16, I went through Auburndale and rode about a mile on beautiful Victorian Woodland Road.

…I have never really understood how to go south from metro NW. The MassPike/Rt20/Rt9/Natick/Framingham/Newton/Wellesley complex always seems a formidable barrier.

… If though you inspect a map closely for roads that cross Mass Pike, and usually also Rte 9, one can find nice alternatives…
Woodland Road does cross the Mass Pike, and is not too far from Waltham. While Newton is known as the “Garden City,” someone on Woodland and did set up a beach volleyball court.

I linked up to Route 16 and took that through Wellesley to Holliston by way of route 27 and a different but nonetheless enchanted, Woodland St. to Mill to Fiske in Sherborn. I did do a side trip on Nason Rd to pass by a colleague's house. On Nason a well organized, tight paceline of about 10 riders (but not wearing uniform team kits) passed by.

My first rest stop was on Rte 27 just before Woodland St. One of the myriad joys of a New England ride is that a shaded stone wall is an excellent rest stop.

I know how other riders who travel with " sweeties,” eat well on the road; my “bachelor biker” picnic is pretty sparse.

Lunch!:

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Most rides ended with a pleasant repast like this restaurant on Rocky Neck in East Gloucester.

Then onto Route 126 down to Medway. I was feeling sluggish and did another stop at the Fatima shrine on 126, which had opened restrooms. From Medway I did a loop in Franklin down Pond which was residential suburban; across treeless, heavy commercial suburban Route 140 for about a mile, then up Union to Lincoln.

That last segment looked really easy to find on the map, but even at the corner of Main Street which apparently became Lincoln, I had to ask directions. The man pointed about a block down the road and said just stay to the right of that red brick schoolhouse, and indeed that's what it was, built in 1833. Lincoln was pleasantly almost rural back to Medway, but with a patched up road surface.

On a different thread this weekend about the utility of rearview mirrors, I described an episode on Lincoln St:

...At one point on my ride I was descending a hill at about 25 mph on a shaded and sun-dappled road with scattered potholes and a lot of wind noise. I took the full lane with confidence by glancing in my mirror, whereas a head/shoulder-check would have been more dangerous at that speed to encounter a pothole...
Then I took familiar Village St to Forest to the enchanted Causeway St in particular to ride by another colleague's house, who wasn't home but I did chat with his mother-in-law. Another less well organized paceline rode by on Causeway Street. Finally, I tried another new, also enchanted back route through Walpole, High St, which was fortunately also a long, rapid downhill because I was tired, and then on to Norwood.

That night, I made up for the lonely, sparse rations en route:

Then my sweetie and I went dining and ballroom dancing in Malden. A fabulous evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
July 13, 2014 001.jpg (97.2 KB, 98 views)
July 13, 2014 002.jpg (95.4 KB, 99 views)
July 13, 2014 003.jpg (93.5 KB, 99 views)
July 13, 2014 004.jpg (102.4 KB, 100 views)
July 13, 2014 005.jpg (99.7 KB, 99 views)
July 13, 2014 006.jpg (96.2 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-13-14 at 08:36 PM.