Old 07-14-14, 01:24 PM
simplybao

Bikes: s-works FSR stumpy, custom Lynskey, Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
You will have a bike that is far better than the RX. Good for you. You're right that these two Giant bikes share the same frame so that's what made this thought experiment interesting to me. I think one would find similarities in the Trek fx line or the Specialized lines - the same basic bike with changes in components as the price rises. It seems to me that getting a lower-end bike (made with the same frame) then upgrading would actually be less expensive than buying the better bike. Plus, how big a difference do each of these components make?
How big a difference it makes can be either real to the end user or perceived, LOL. As you step up the component chain, you'll get lighter and more durable equipment. It'll also function better. But will you be able to tell? Perhaps. My partner has a '14 Trek FX 7.4 and I rode it back to back with mine to see how different the drivetrain feels. I can tell that mine shifts quicker and the gear changes are quieter. But, his bike with the medium sized frame weighs as much as mine does and there are no upgrades on his. I just like monkeying around with parts and changing things and I have a mad money allowance that I get to spend with no questions asked so that's my justification for parts. At the end of the day, I enjoyed my stock bike just fine. I like it better now because it's unique . I'll also add that I can't go any faster now than with the factory parts. If I want faster, I'll get a roadie, but for now, I'm quite happy. There's always n+1, LOL.