Old 07-14-14, 08:25 PM
yuoil 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1980 Schwinn Continental (?) worth salvaging?

Hi forumites!

So this bike's destiny is still being determined:

I think it is a 1980 Schwinn Continental. Serial is MR769248. It's in pretty rough shape. Rims have some dent, saddle has come apart, needs tires and tubes, etc. I'm not sure if it's worth doing anything to. I like the frame because it looks filet brazing but I am guessing that it's just filed down lugs. I think it's hi-ten and it obviously has ashtabula cranks so I'm not sure if it's worth updating? Keep as is? I haven't ridden it as is. I think it'd needs a rear wheel and tires + tubes to even test ride though.

I don't know too much about these Schwinns. The pedals, handlebars, stem, and brakes all seem worth keeping for reuse down the line at least. Do people want the "Schwinn Approved" stuff for builds or is it not worth considering? Who made the Schwinn approved derailleurs? Suntour? I assume this is an Asian made Schwinn so I'm hypothesizing perhaps it was made by Giant?

The bike is about a 25" and weighs a bit over 40lbs based on the arm scale.

The bike intrigues me for some reason I don't really know and that's why I'm just looking for more info. I know its not high end or probably even mid-grade. But it was headed for the scrap so I am delaying that fate for now...
Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2886ujo.jpg (70.6 KB, 31 views)