Old 07-15-14, 08:22 AM
sciencebones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Bike / Old School Looks? Oh, and I'm new here!

Ok, to start this is not the usual “what $18 budget fixie do I buy**********” question. I’ve read through every single one of those on this forum, twice.

Long story short - or as short as possible. I’m looking for a new SS Bike with a bit of the classic look. Quill Stem, I dig the lugs, no Deep V action, super clean and simple. The owner of a LBS says we can build up a Soma Rush in my budget ($550) if I do all the labor, under shop supervision, of course. Build the wheels and the whole nine. All chrome, sexy, with black rubber, saddle and bar wrap. No brainer, right? YES!

Only deal is, he said give me a few days to work the numbers and source the bits. I have a feeling it might not work out (seems too good to be true, that frame ain’t cheap) and I’m gonna either have to spend a LOT more jack to make it happen (probably worth it, but don’t have the extra cash) or I’m gonna have to find something else.

The “something elses” that have the look:

Fuji Feather: Doesn’t get a ton of love on this joint (Nobody has any 2014s left. The 2015 may not look as slick)

Pure Fix The Coolidge: Seems they are all sold out now. So 2015 coming soon?

Kilo Stripper: I HATE that stem (and seat post) on an otherwise great looking bike. The crowns on the fork are way good. And I’ve seen some lugged Kilo frames too that look nice. All threadless or some really funky forks? Why oh why?!

Any other options? Suggestions? I’ve been all over and can’t find anything I dig.

I hope the Soma deals works out, but being an obsessive nut job I want a back up.

Oh, also - this will be my first road bike, just city ridding and such. I currently ride a BMX (have been for years) but that thing whoops me on long rides with the girlfriend.

Thanks in advance.