Thread: 7.4 /7.5.
View Single Post
Old 07-16-14, 02:07 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Spinninmywheels
Hi All; I'm a newbie on the Forum and a renewbie to cycling. ;-) I haven't ridden in nearly 25 years (Yikes, I'm older than I thought.). Until recently, I did little to NO exercise. I revamped my diet back in February and within a month, my energy level soared. I joined a gym and go 3-4 times a week. I love it and I need more exercise and have really wanted to cycle again. I plan to ride for fun, exercise and transportation. I would like to get to where I can ride to and from the gym (20 hilly miles). I also want to be able to load it up if I decide I want to do a weekend tour. After poking around online and going to 2 LBS's, I am considering:

TREK 7.4 FX WSD @$739.00
TREK 7.5 FX WSD @$999.00
CANNONDALE Quick SL 3 @$849.00

What other bicycles would you recommend in this type/price range? I want a woman specific design, upgraded forks and a wide gear range for hills. I will not spend over $1,000.00. Remember, I'm going to have to buy a helmet, mirrors, bottles/cages, car bike rack, lock, maybe panniers, etc. on top of the bike. . Like most folks, I'd prefer to spend as little as I can. But if I can get a LOT more bike for a little more money, I could probably be convinced to spend closer to that top number. I appreciate your thoughts and ideas on bikes you think will work well for me.
I'd go with the 7.4 FX over the 7.5 and it would be a very easy decision.

Both have carbon forks, both made out of Alpha Gold Aluminium, both with Deore rear derailleur.

The 7.4 FX with its triple crankset is better for climbing hills than the 7.5 FX and the 7.4 FX is likely to have stronger wheels with its 32 spoke set up, compared to the 24 spoke set up of the 7.5 FX.

Also think the 32mm wide tyres on the 7.4 FX will provide more comfort than the 28mm wide tyres on the 7.5 FX.

BTW, which year 7.4FX? Is it the 2015 or 2014?

Hardly any difference between the two of them, but the 2015 allows for a slightly nicer Speed & Cadence setup for a bike computer.

But getting away from Trek, and I would take the following for a test ride.

Alight 1 (2015) (2014) | Giant Bicycles | United States <-- Good Specs, Great price.

Specialized Bicycle Components <-- Comes in either Orangey or Whitey colours.