Old 07-16-14, 04:26 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Artic,
I didn't really follow your PM but what you posted above is a bit more clear.
First identify what bike you have.

I presume the bike has an English or Italian threaded BB and you are using Campy threaded cups with UT.

(note: I suggest you do NOT install your PowerTorque crank and ebay it. I don't like the design but others have them on the forum and some don't complain much about them)

Contrary to what you write, UT is one of the most problem free cranks on the planet. Yes, some do click but as with BB30, this is based upon how they are installed.

First take Roll's good advice. Remove chain ring bolts, clean the rings, grease bolt threads and reassemble to torque spec. Park sells a little tool to hold the back of the slotted bolts while you torque the Torx bolts. Ride the bike and see if it still clicks.

If it still clicks and you are sure its the crank and not your saddle or seat post....ride the bike out of the saddle to determine this...then the crank must come off. Also remove the threaded cups, clean the threads, and smear light grease on both BB female threads and cup male threads and reassemble. Generally if there is clicking it is the cups and grease and proper torque quiet them.

When you install the crank, put a liberal amount of grease on the bearings...pack the backside of the bearings as well with grease...and a light coat inside the cups. Important. Prior to installation, use mineral spirits and a tooth brush to thoroughly clean the hirth joint interface. This joint must be immaculate. You can also place a light coat of grease on the joint prior to assembly. I have done it both ways and some believe this takes all the tolerance out and is quieter. If you have the right BB shell width i.e. your wave washer has a hint of compression, it should be dead silent. Mine always has been. Also check your pedals. Pedals require maintenance as well...or can...my Speedplays do and pedal bearings can wear as well and creak. Also check the clips on your shoes.

To me UT cranks are about as good as it gets when installed on a threaded BB. Now with the new Praxis conversion BB, Campy lovers can adapt UT cranks to BB/PF30 framesets as well which really changes things for the better as previously Campy cranks didn't mount very well to BB/PF30.

HTH