Thread: 7.4 /7.5.
View Single Post
Old 07-16-14, 08:49 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Spinninmywheels
I like the 2015 7.4 FX. I also like that ORANGE Specialized! ;-). I'm also considering the Giant Escape 1W or Escape 0W.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Cannondale Quick SL3?
thanks again, all.
That Cannondale Quick SL3(for women) is a very good looking bike, with pretty good componentry and Cannondale is a very respectable manufacturer.

As a heavy man, the wheels with the exotic spoke arrangement would worry me, but it is unlikely to be something that you need to be overly concerned about.

Amongst all these bikes between $650 to $900, there most likely won't be a world of difference due to quality of componentry, but the geometry of some bikes tend to suit some people better than others.

For this reason, it is always best to test ride a bike and not just go on the spec sheet alone.

Of course I am also a big believer that if your bike has a colour scheme you really like, you will be more inclined to ride it, so I do not dismiss as a reason for buying one comparable bike over another, that someone preferred the look of the bike they choose.

I'm going to list the bikes you have mentioned in the order of which I think have the best components(with a little summary of which ones I am referring to), keeping in mind that I give a strong weighting to the quality of the rear derailleur, as I believe a smooth gear changing experience is so very important.

1. Giant Escape 0 W - Best Front Derailleur, Best Crank, Equal Best Rear Derailleur, Good Wheels/Rims
2. Trek 2015 7.4 FX WSD - Equal Best Rear Derailleur, Good Wheels/Rims, Light Weight Frame
3. Cannondale Quick SL3 Women's - Equal Best Rear Derailleur
4. Specialized Vita Elite - Light Weight Frame
5. Giant Escape 1 W -
6. Giant 2015 Liv Alight 1 -

In terms of the various Shimano parts on these bikes, the order of componentry you find on the above bikes goes from Altus to Acera to Alivio to Deore to Deore LX(the highest in this group), which is why I have ranked the above bikes in the order that I have.