Old 07-16-14, 12:32 PM
joe@vwvortex

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Tandem, S-works 29r, Specialized Tarmac SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritterview
I think I mentioned something in my post about the practice of Rolf wheelset users ($1175) having to purchase and equip a second, more reliable wheelset ($550).

Maybe the HED's or Kinlin's will be so reliable as to be used every day, all conditions, no problems. No spoke breakage at the most inopportune time. If so, great. Tandem wheelset issues definitively solved for all time.

Because a redundant wheelset isn't particularly inexpensive, and require require tubes/tires ($100), a cassette ($100), a 1-2 rotors ($75), a bag ($50), etc. You've got to store it, transport it, switch it out, etc. That inconvenience is a cost, too.

If we look at a European tour, it would be costly to transport the extra wheelset, or costly to ruin the trip with wheel problems for lack of a back-up wheelset. The unreliable wheelset becomes the horseshoe nail, for want of which the kingdom was lost. Its all got to factor.
But - you are assuming that the Enve's will somehow be more reliable and won't have any issues. That MAY be the case - but as with anything - time will tell. Things fail - and yes while Rolf's have not been the most reliable wheels - the bottom line is that at least there is a history on them on a Tandem.