Old 07-16-14, 05:43 PM
andrevautour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New build - Wabi classic frame set with custom parts

Hello!

I know this was actually a reply to a post in my "Mavic Open Pro" rim thread, but I turned out to be more like a build log entry for my new build, so here it is. Plus I will include some pictures in this thread!

I have sort of a mix of parts since I originally was planning on using parts from my old bike, but then I switched frame and ended up replacing most of the parts anyway.

Here is what I have so far.

Wabi classic frame in Jet black: Wabi Cycles Classic fixed gear bike specs

The frame came with a Silver FSA headset, so that plus the picture of the way the Wabi classic is built up for the full bike version sort of set my mind on a path of including some silver in the build. Plus I had been having a look at the silver Velocity Deep V's and I really liked the look of those.

I ordered the Silver Open Pro rims from Velomine along with a White San Marco Zonocolan: Mavic Open Pro Silver Track Singlespeed Wheelset Fix Free Hub 32 [73896] - $199.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

Amazon.com : Selle San Marco Zoncolan Racing Arrowhead Saddle White/Black, One Size : Bike Saddles And Seats : Sports & Outdoors

I like the classic look of the silver Open pro's. I think they will suit my current build. I have had wheels built from Velomine in the past and they seemed to be well built.

I have a pair of Velocity Deep V's, but they are about 5 years old now (but still fine) they are orange, which I am not going to be using for my new build (although I do have the orange rear wheel on there for now just so I can ride in the mean time until the new wheels come) and the bearings on the rear wheel is worn out, so I figured I would just order a new set of wheels that suited the build better and I would get new hubs and spokes too.

Then I was thinking that I silver seat post would be nice to round off the silver / black mix for the build. I already bought an Easton EA50 post in black, which is fine, but what I would really like for the build is a silver Thompson Elite. I might sell the EA50 post and get a silver Thompson. who knows.

I have FSA Omega compact drop bars, 40mm plus a Richey Pro stem, which I have ridden a few times now bare. I picked up some cork bar tape today but I have never wrapped bars before, so I'm not sure if I will try and do it myself along with some yotuube tutorials or if I will bring it to my bike shop and have it done.

I also need to replace my front sprocket/rear cog/chain and I'm not sure if I will do 46/16t or 47/17t. anyone know what the difference in feel is between those two?

I really like the Wabi classic frame. I bought a Mercier Kilo TT frame with "black magic" paint and it was a fine frame but the paint was really soft and it was scratching easily within the first couple of days, so I flipped that on craigslist and ordered a Wabi frame after it Wabi cycles was suggested on here. The paint on the Wabi is much higher quality as well as little things like the welds, dropout, seat post clamp area are all nicer on the Wabi.

I have the Wabi built up now with my old Velocity Deep V rims and my old saddle (selle italia XO) and it feels good so far. I'm excited to see how it will feel with these new wheels and saddle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC08041.jpg (94.8 KB, 62 views)
DSC08045.jpg (97.5 KB, 54 views)
DSC08048.jpg (90.9 KB, 51 views)
DSC08053.jpg (84.1 KB, 54 views)
DSC08057.jpg (85.7 KB, 52 views)