View Single Post
Old 07-17-14, 05:13 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by cpf_carrot
It's the middle of summer and I'm thinking of winter already. I usually stop riding when the roads turn to slush and ice but this year I want to ride through the winter. Here's the info:

My budget is $600 (or less!), not including rack, fenders and studded tires. I won't be buying right away.

I live in NYC, ride over the Williamsburg bridge and the East Side bike path downtown.

I often ride my ss/fg to work when I am not riding my cx bike. My ss/fg cannot take fenders or studded tires (no clearance) and I am not interested in using my cx bike through the winter. I like the idea of not having a derailleur on my winter bike as it is one less thing to maintain and clean, but if gears are important to have for the winter I'll deal.

I do have a 26" hardtail mtb (Trek 4300) with hydraulic fs that I've considered converting to winter use. But I don't really like the geometry for riding on roads, so I'm not convinced I would enjoy using it this winter. I converted it to an Avid BB7 on the front.

I'm currently also considering buying one of a few bikes from Bikesdirect, which are:

- Motobecane Cross Uno: cheap, ss so no derailleurs to foul up, but tight track geometry might be bad for slick or messy roads?
- Motobecane Fantom CX: gears for spinning, would be a great secondary bike year-round, but at the top of my budget
- Motobecane Cafe Express 3: cheap, 3s IGH, upright riding position
- Motobecane Bistro 8V: has fenders and rack included, chain guard, 8s IGH

Anybody have an idea of what direction I should go? What are the most important features to have in a winter commuter?
A few thoughts (I've ridden three winters now, more often each year):

- the bike is only part of the spend...balaclava, warm gloves/mitts, shoes/boots with covers, etc, can add up, but you can purchase from shops other than lbs so lots of options (I mention this because you seem to be on a budget)
- I think you can get away with a ss in NYC, maybe you can get a used one (I got a Masi specially commuter a few years ago for $400, it's still one of my winter bikes)
- disk brakes probably do better when it's messy out there, rim brakes and their pads can ice up...though if you feather the brakes now and then you should be ok
- clearance for wider tires, maybe studded ones
- cx bikes seem to fit the bill for most
- more upright geometry because you have more clothing on and are likely looking around more versus head down and gunning it
- if you go ss can you get disk brakes? Someone with more knowledge can give options here
- I vote for buying a cross or road bike that is gently used...or a clear out of something with Tiagra like components...