View Single Post
Old 07-17-14, 04:04 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
As an EMT on an ALS ambulance crew for 12 years, my night-time job, and a ski patroller for 32 years, I can tell you the first places I looked for medical and emergency information is a chain around the neck or a bracelet.

If your wallet is obvious, not stowed in panniers,backpack or handlebar bag; it may be looked at. Unfortunately you may not have important information like: allergies, medications (warfarin), blood type, organ donor info, or emergency contacts in you wallet. I know I don't have the information in my wallet, and don't usually carry my wallet unless riding to the store or on a tour. I also wear mine at the gym, even if my wallet is in a locker.

I've only been on 8 serious bicycle accidents and 5 motorcycle accidents, and can honestly say I've never looked inside a helmet for info. When you store your info in a cell phone, you are making an assumption that the cell phone will be with you, visible, and functioning. That is not always the case. Most of the time, first responders are not going to take the time to figure out someone's phone even if they find it and it is still functioning.

I am still wearing my Road ID from this morning's ride. I don't leave home on my bike without it. We bought Road IDs as gifts for all or kids, and they actually wear them. They are pretty cheap insurance.

Last edited by Doug64; 07-17-14 at 08:10 PM.