Old 07-18-14, 12:09 PM
mxpx242424

Bikes: Trek 520 and Trek 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought a cheap 86' pieced together Trek 520 for the frame and need make changes.

So yesterday I bought myself a trek 520 from some guy who just had it rotting in his garage. I bought the bike for 100 bucks, and it's a great bike, but I wanted to change some stuff out. Right now, I have all of the Shimano 600 groupset on the bike except for the crankset and the cassette. The crankset on there has 3 gears, and the bike just skips the middle gear. The cassette has 5 gears on it. Also, I would like to be able to put Shimano STI shifting on there rather than the current downtube shifting for a reasonable price.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what I should replace my crankset and my cassette with to make my life easier for adding STI shifting? I'm quite a newby, so I don't really know if the current derailleurs will shift with an STI set up. Anyways, I'll take whatever advice I can get. I really want this bike to be a learning experience and use it to intimately understand bicycles. Thanks!