View Single Post
Old 07-20-14, 09:11 PM
scopinusa

Bikes: 87 Master Ironman; 87 Expert Miami,'88 Peugeot Canyon Express, '87 Raleigh Elkhorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
My Paselas are 27 x 1 1.4" & measure 32mm width with digital calipers. Yes, I'd love wider ones too without having to go the "cross" knobby versions. I tried some 700c wheels on my mixte (which sports it's original 27" wheels), and I thought the 700c wheels looked "insignificant" compared to the 27". I know there's not much of a difference in size, but the overall gestalt on the bike was not aesthetically pleasing. You will have more tire choices, however, if you go 700c.
You are spot-on about aesthetics. As you know also, 27"ers are smoother than 700's due to the increased radius just as 27.5 and 29" are smoother, among other things, than 26" tires. I feel the difference readily. That's why you see 27"s on my Ironman (previous post) rather than 700's. Weight differences are only found in set designs, so that's not a concern for me. There are more tire choices with 700's, but only in the higher priced, lighter and more puncture-prone designs that I don't want as a general statement.

I was disappointed when the industry moved to 700's and still see it as a negative.