View Single Post
Old 02-04-03, 04:43 AM
willic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Quote)
I mean if New Yorkers can bike over the Geoge Washington, I think we ought to be able to bike over the Walt Whitman. The problem as you say is that our bridges weren't designed to accomodate anything other than cars and it would be difficult to get that changed now. But even on the Ben Franklin the pedestrian path is frequently closed and is locked up at night.

Strange....very strange!
America land of the free...... as long as you use an automoble.
reading some of these posts I FIND IT INCREDIBLE. that some of the rivers are un-crossable on foot or cycle.
I cannot think of any bridge crossings in the U.k. that are inacsessable to walkers or cyclists.
The Tyne in my area at the main city Newcastle is famous the world over for its bridges. Some of which over recent years with the increased volume of traffic, although not restricted have become very uncomfortable for anything other than motorized trans`t .
With that in mind, a dedicated pedestrian and seperate cycle way bridge was constructed, this turned out to be a modern work of art, winning prestigeous archi`al awards throughout Europe .
Known as the "blinking eye"bridge, costing £9 Million . So despite much critisism on the expenditure, especially by the, (can`t you guess) motoring fraternity. It now stands together with "the Angel of the North" as a symbol of the N.E. England.

Maybe a few of your U.S. cities should take a look at this example.