Old 07-27-14, 01:24 PM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The fact that both team members are riders is a BIG plus.

Compatible cadence is a big one as mentioned above.

Do you have the same goals?

We climb at an average of our single speed climbing so fast for the stoker and slow for the captain. The captain has to be ready to get dropped on climbs if you ride your tandem with his riding buddies. On the other hand you can punish them on the flats and downhills. Our tandem is faster than I am on my single on that terrain.

The captain may not be able to ride the tandem with his normal group depending on the group dynamics but I found it well worth it to always have a ride partner, hit some really high speeds, and always being able to go as hard (but maybe not as far) as I like. Even on my best day I can't drop my wife. Just joking but reaching goals is more fun as a team than on the single.

Stoker lack of control was an issue for us but my stoker decided the extra speed on the tandem was worth giving up the control of her single. Her competitive streak won out over her Control freak side.

I say go for it. A good used tandem is a start. Then if you like it you will have a good idea what you want in a bike. The rentals might be worth a shot but keep in mind that they may be more of a tandem shapped object than a real tandem.

Last edited by waynesulak; 07-27-14 at 01:42 PM.