Old 07-27-14, 09:25 PM
hockeyref

Bikes: 1995 Canondale 2.8 frame (R800) with a mix of same era Shimano and Campy parts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ever got into your car and looked at your setup from the drivers viewpoint?

I almost hit a guy last week..... I really almost couldn't see him.
He had the little red blinky light under his seat that was almost invisible... NOTHING ELSE TO THE REAR - no reflective tape or anything on his frame or clothing. Black shorts and a red & white striped jersey that may as well have been black with some white accents. Couldn't tell you what color his helmet was (red? Blue? in the dark it may as well have been black). He was changing lanes (across two lanes) in front of me to to get into a left turning lane. He did have a pretty bright light on the front that I was able to see once he had started turning....

I was not expecting to see a cyclist on this roadway at all, let alone at night.
The experience has really made me think about how I might set up to be as visible as possible.

Not flaming or anything, just saying to be careful out there and make yourself as visible as you can.... Put your stuff out there and then get behind the wheel to see what you look like to the driver....