View Single Post
Old 07-28-14, 02:47 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
I come across this a lot. Dog(s) being walked without a leash on a MUP. It's marked (and signed) as a bike path, but it's a popular path in my city for all (and I don't mind that, we all deserve a nice path to walk/bike/run) away from cars and in a natural environment. It's also a law that all pets are on a controlled leash (it's on the signs as well).

But I've come across more and more people who insist on walking dogs w/o leashes on this path. And even with a call (ON YOUR LEFT) they do nothing to control their pets which frequently block the path. I always slow down on certain areas I know are crowded with peds, but this kinda thing is really pissing me off.

Today, a guy I see all the time, who never has his large dogs on a leash, who is always on his phone paying no attention to anything. I stopped and told him that law requires leashes, that this is a bike path and his dogs are a danger to cyclists...told me to go "F" myself and next time he'll make sure his dog's attack me (seriously...not that I really think that).

WTF can be done in this situation? I mean I want to tell him about the time I've been bitten (and the cost that comes with that, for him) and the safety issues as well. But it really seems hard to make many of these people understand.

Spring...that time of the year when the morons come out and we're forced to deal with them? Until they are too fat and drunk to continue their New Year's resolution and just let their neglected pets out to sheet in the backyard?
I'm sorry...that demands local action and you're going to just get a few action hero responses here and no actual remedy.

You have already pointed out violation of the leash laws and then you contend you were threatened with assault.

Get it over with and report this person. Dogs are considered a deadly weapon as they can kill you. Even if not prompted by an owner, bicycles have a knack for confusing dogs and the noises they make that you might not notice can cause them consternation as well...if they are scared or feel threatened, or they feel their owner is they do what dogs go instinctively-react to protect.

There is absolutely no excuse for anybody threatening to sic a dog on you solely because of their embarrassment. This person was a bully and a jerk and should be reported.

Many people have cellphones these days and with their prominence everywhere it isn't that hard to stay back and take photos or videos inconspicuously. Send them to your local TV station if you don't feel the city government will act. There's always a station that claims to be a public advocate and will investigate problems then try to help you solve them...they call them things like "On Your Side" etc and advertise this. The chances are probably good that if you report the threatened assault and can show some pictures the city and police will be pretty interested anyway. You live in the second largest city in your county and are close enough to Denver to get some attention.

Last edited by Rollfast; 07-28-14 at 02:50 AM.