genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Carbon fiber frames are not plastic (inflammatory statement there imho) They are a composite material with fibers (carbon) in a matrix of epoxy. there is a log of design in areas like thickness for composite, fiber alignment, material mix for provide strength, stiffness, good ride, light weight. Proper construction uses tech like air bagging to ensure the minimum amount resign in the fibers.

The finished product can be as strong or light as designed.

That said the failure mode is quite different than it is for steel. The structural integrity depends on the whole, not individual parts. When a single area fails the overall strength radically reduced and the failure tends to be immediate and fast. Where the initial failure is make as differende also...if it is an area that is stressed, the overall reduction in structural integrity is fast.

as an imperfect example think of a pice of string...... if it is stretched tightly between two points and you nick it with a knife the reduction in string structure will cause the string to break, even if it was not cut all the way through.

There is plenty of documentation about carbon frames and forks failing and people getting bikes replaced under warranty

What does this mean practically?

Carbon is not going to blow up if you sit on it and ride it.

Carbon does take a little extra TLC

People with carbon frames, especially those that get used hard, should inspect them regularly for things like cracks, dent and large nicks

I would suggest the history of carbon has enough issues that you should only buy a carbon bike with a valid warranty, which pretty much means new

also to note comparing a bike to an airplane or even a fi car is not really valid....way different engineering issues

Personally I like steel, but that is more style than material
By definition alone, CF bikes are indeed "plastic." Certainly all the resin systems I learned about in college came under the heading "plastics."

BTW there is a different definition for "plastic" (as in flexible) than for "plastics" (the materials).

Yeah, I know... semantic argument...