View Single Post
Old 07-30-14, 11:24 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Plugs are fine (I don't know if those are the right or wrong ones for you), but the key to a successful repair is to find and correct the actual problem. You wouldn't treat a knee problem with an elbow pad (even a great elbow pad), and the same logic applies to any repair.

As noted above, pinch flats aren't caused by rim strip issues. They're usually caused by overly impacts on sharp edges like pothole rims with narrow tires and/or low pressure. Another common cause of pinch flats is poor mounting technique.

One benefit of plugs can be that they may reduce the diameter at the center of the rim, making tire mounting a bit easier.

If tape moving is a problem for you, the likely causes are that you applied the tape to a rim which still had an oil or waxy film, and/or that you didn't tension the tape enough as you applied it. Millions of people are using rim tape with no issues of tape movement, so that's not an inherent issue with tape.

As I said starting out, find the true cause of your tire problems before spending money on a fix that might not make a difference.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.