View Single Post
Old 07-31-14, 08:51 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
Suntour LeTech Rear Derailleur Info

OK- I've done the Googling for the LeTech rear derailleur. Most of the results are me yapping about it.

For those of you playing along with copies of the home game... the Suntour LeTech was Suntour's top of the line touring derailleur around 1984. It was really cool, it was really modern (with the fancy computer font) and even modern-er with Suntour's triple pivot system. Aside from the computer font, it was a really nice looking and superbly engineered piece of machinery meant to handle monsterous amounts of chain slack and a huge rear cog.

By the way- dig the "almost quick cage" design. Just loosen the nut on the lower pulley (don't remove it), and that enclosing cage just slides out of the way. REALLY well thought out.

My LeTech came on my Voyageur SP. When I got my VSP, it was in the middle of winter, I had the LeTech on it, and it worked great on the stand. I didn't post a "NEW BIKE DAY" thread because I wanted to have it all cleaned up and do a photospread of the finished product. I also didn't pay a hell of a lot of attention to how the RD was set up because... it's just an RD- how difficult can it be? I got the bike all Frame Savered, rebuilt and properly put into my idea of what a king **** touring bike should look like- And apparently it's with a circa 1990 Suntour XC Pro RD.

I've been contemplating replacing the Sachs/Huret DuoPar on my Trek 720- Because the 720 is a cool and unique bike, I would like to use a unique and highly functional device- so I went to thinking about using the LeTech. HOWEVER, when I mounted the LeTech, the chain tension on the lower pulley pulled the lower cage down and THAT pulled the intermediate pivot down as well- leaving the upper pulley with no chain tension. Quite simply, I don't know what the hell I'm doing and can't figure out the chain routing.

The clearest picture I've seen of the mounted LeTech doesn't show how the chain routes through the pulley pivots...

Does anyone have a bike running a LeTech rear derailleur that they can snap some pix of?

Thanks!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.